The History

The legendary spot in Melbourne’s Little Collins Street might have been a ‘dry’ hotel for almost a century after it was founded by leading temperance advocate and former Victorian Premier, James Munro, but the hotel’s new bar and restaurant, MISTER MUNRO, aims to make up for lost time.

MISTER MUNRO features a relaxed menu boasting a locally-sourced menu full of all-day favourites such as charcuterie plates, a signature seafood platter as well as decadent desserts. The menu celebrates the best in Victorian produce such as Portarlington Mussels, Victorian Rainbow Trout and Yarra Valley beef.

The inspiration for the restaurant and bar draws heavily on the heritage of the venue. James Munro and the Temperance League originally founded the Victoria Hotel in 1880 as the Victoria Coffee Palace, an alternative to the rowdy, bawdy pub accommodation on offer during the late 19th century. A ‘coffee palace’ in Melbourne also differentiated itself from other hotels in another important way – it was a dry hotel – with no alcohol allowed. Instead, patrons enjoyed beef tea, mineral waters and, of course, coffee.

Fortunately, things have changed since those days, and imbibers at MISTER MUNRO can now expect a menu that delivers a lot more punch.

This modern, Art Deco inspired restaurant and bar brings to life the hospitality that this building has been renowned for since 1880.